Ruth Bader Ginsberg’s Fight for Gender Equality

Ruth Bader Ginsberg's Fight for Gender Equality

Evan Finamore, Staff Writer

Throughout American history, women have fought for their rights and changed the country in a positive way. Over the last 100 years the fight for gender equality has changed a lot for women. Although the fight for gender equality isn’t over yet, one of the people who has made the most change was Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  

Ruth Bader Ginsburg (also known as RBG) was the first Jewish woman who served as a Supreme Court Justice. As a mom, a lawyer, a professor, and advocate for gender equality, she was a role model all across America. Through her admirers, a nickname sprouted. She was known to many as The Notorious RBG. Throughout the country, people have been deeply inspired by her life story and what she has contributed to this country.

In 1980, Ginsburg was appointed into The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia by President Jimmy Carter. In 1993, Justice Ginsburg was appointed to the Supreme Court by President Bill Clinton and over time became part of the liberal side of the Supreme Court. She was successful in most of her cases, bringing the country to have more fair laws and rights for women. Some of her well known cases were, Stenberg v. Carhart, United States v. Virginia, and Safford Unified School District v. Redding. These were major to help with gender equality and other minor causes. 

Ginsburg was born into a Jewish family in 1933. She went to the library often and became active in her Jewish education. She went to James Madison High School, whose law program named a courtroom after her. Her mother struggled with cancer through her high school years and died the day before her high school graduation. Ginsburg later attended Cornell University where she met her husband Martin Ginsburg. She graduated as the best female student in her class. After her college graduation, she had two law-related jobs. In 1955, she had her first daughter, and later on, a son. She then went to Harvard Law school, but later transferred to Columbia Law school. After this, it was difficult finding a job. She had many different side jobs, including one in Europe, where she had to learn Swedish. After that, she had a few different jobs as a professor. While a professor, she co-founded the first law journal that focused on women’s rights and co-authored a book on gender discrimination. She then went on and had many successful cases fighting for gender equality. Many of these cases were before she was on the Supreme Court. While still fighting for gender equality, Ginsburg began to focus a little on equal rights for all. She judged and fought for many other cases as a Supreme Court Justice and became a role model to all making a positive impact on the country around her. Sadly she passed away on September 18, 2020 from pancreatic cancer. This day was the Jewish new year, Rosh Hashanah.

Ginsburg contributed a lot to this country. Even through the hard times, she pushed through, becoming one of the most successful people to change America. She was loved by many people. She has helped the future of this country by fighting for what she believed was right, and she succeeded.

“We are a nation made strong by people like you…Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you,” she said.