Day’s In Person and Virtual Clubs in COVID

Ms. Lightfoot leads boxygen outside

Skye Larson, Staff Writer

Day Middle School has always done a great job offering a variety of clubs to its students, and Covid has not changed that.  What is new this year is that as well as its regular in person clubs, Day also offers virtual clubs.  There are many virtual clubs — more than can be  listed here, they include things ranging from a COMIX Club to Books for Breakfast.

Before listing what clubs Day has that are in person, be assured that Day administration is working very hard to make sure that the Day community can stay safe in the middle of this pandemic. They do this by asking everybody to check for any possible symptoms and check their temperatures before they leave for the club. When they do meet everybody is staying socially distanced, and wearing masks the whole time (except for scheduled mask breaks). The in person clubs that Day offers are Jogging/Running Club, Sports Media Club, and Girls Boxygen.

Let’s circle back to the virtual clubs. You may be thinking, “The kids have been on Zoom all day, do they really want to go back on Zoom again at the end of the day?” The answer is yes, kids do want to participate in Day’s clubs even though they are held over Zoom. Many students have participated in virtual clubs this year. They really appeal to students.

I wanted to know more about Day’s clubs and I decided to interview two teachers: Ms. Lightfoot, who is Day’s librarian, and Mr. Comings, the head of clubs and the Sky team’s Social Studies teacher. Mr. Comings said: “The problem is that most of the clubs are usually student-generated, but it’s a little bit harder in this world to do that.” He also added: “what we’re fighting against is that kids are on screens so long if they want to do a club it’s one more hour on screens.” Ms. Lightfoot also said how :“In remote, it’s hard when you’re talking to a screen you’re not as engaged as you would be if you were with other people.”

But there are also pluses to having remote clubs, Ms. Lightfoot mentioned one of them when she said: “Some kids have signed up for these clubs that might not have if they were in school.” She also talked about how “They all just chat a lot which is great, because I feel like there is not time built into the school day to hang out and chat like they normally would at lunch or in the hallways”.

On the other side, when talking about in person clubs both teachers mentioned many times that they wish that there were more. Both teachers also talked about how having the clubs iis a great way to build relationships, and to be able to spend time with people when you might not be able to in a Zoom world. Ms. Lightfoot  said how at least in her clubs the people had been doing a really good job with all of the Covid rules. But Ms. Lightfoot also shared the struggles that come along with in person clubs.

“It’s pretty tough trying to give directions with a mask on especially when we are spread so far apart” “and you can’t see people’s expressions under masks if they’re having fun or if they’re upset,” she said.  

Clearly, there are positives and negatives to both. If there isn’t one out there just for you, why not just get a few  friends together and start one?